Wednesday 28 July 2010

Cloisonne Fascination

Today I want to talk a little bit about cloisonne enamelling beads because I absolutely adore them.
Cloisonne beads are full of detail, usually flowers, stars, butterflies or leaves and each bead is a true piece of art. As you can see in the pictures I took of some cloisonne beads and a cloisonne pendant I purchased.

Cloisonne enamelling is a very ancient and complex technique used in jewellery and also in variety of items like jewellery boxes, plates,vases to mention just a few. Cloisonne is very popular in China and the most well know cloisonne beads are from China or Russia, however,  its origin dates back to the Byzantine Empire.





















Watch this very interesting video I found on Youtube about the Cloisonne enamelling process




I also found a link with very detailed description, including pictures, of the enamelling process which is worth 

http://www.allaboutgemstones.com/jewelry_making_cloisonne.html

Last  but not least if you want to learn more about cloisonne I suggest you read  the following book

Cloisonne Enamelling and Jewellery making by Felicia Liban and Louise Mitchell

1 comment:

  1. ola,
    sou Brasileira e tambem sou encantada pelo cloisonne.
    tenho uma pequena coleção das peças, gostaria de saber se é possivel trocarmos contato, para que possa me enviar peças bonitas como as da foto acima!
    obrigada
    Giselle

    ReplyDelete